I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

September 1, 2011

Apple and Almond Cakes




Happy Spring Dear Readers!









I love the warmer weather, opening all the windows to flush any wintery funk from the house and letting in the sweet scent of blossoms wafting on the breeze!
Where I live we have blossom trees everywhere, pink and white puffs that look delicate enough to blow away with a breath. Blossoms make me think of apple trees, apple trees make me think of apples, and apples make me think of... Apple Cakes of course!

This is a nice dense cake with the addition of almond meal, that's hearty enough to be served as a pudding, but not stick-to-the-ribs enough not to enjoy as a snack. Juuuuuust right.



Apple and Almond Cakes

2 nice large Apples- I used Sundowner today
(1 of them sliced finely, one of them grated)

125 gr Butter

1 cup Brown Sugar

2 Eggs

1 1/2 cup Almond Meal

1 cup SR Gfree Flour

1/3 cup Raisons

1/4 cup Marsala (or other liquid like apple juice)

Spices to taste- I used about a teaspoon of mixed nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves

2 Tab Butter extra

2 Tab Castor Sugar

Soak the raisons in the marsala, I pop them in the microwave for a minute to plump up nicely.












Use a mandoline to slice one of the apples very thinly, or use a really sharp knife and be really careful.















Pop them in a bowl with the extra butter and castor sugar, and microwave them for about a minute and a half to soften down a bit so they're soft enough to mold around the cake tins.
















Grease the cake tins, I used texas muffin pans and plain canola spray oil. Mold the apples carefully around the pans, or if you can't be bothered, just place a slice in the bottom of each cavity.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. I like to add the spices now too.




Add in the eggs, one at a time, and beat really well.







Add in the raisons and grated apple and mix throughly.

Fold through the flour and almond meal until well combined.
















Put half a cup of the mixture into each muffin cavity, and fold over the edges of the apple slices. Smooth the tops of each little cake well.
















Pop in the oven at 180*c for 25-30 minutes, or until a lightly pressed finger on the top of each meets a slight resistance and it springs back gently.

Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack.



You can eat these little lovelies still warm, preferably with some lactose free cream and custard.




They came out sweet and subtley spiced, but I do think the flavour was much nicer the next day, even heated up again. There was just a depth of apple and marsala that wasn't as obvious before. In fact, the only thing I didn't like about these was the way the raisons looked poking through the apple slices. It kinda looked funky, like a spot of mould, or a dead fly maybe... a liberal dusting of icing sugar, the chefs friend, will hide that nicely though, or else make sure that's where you pour the custard!

I must admit, if I make these again just for us, I'll probably just go with the slice of apple on top- and I won't probably pre-cook it either. If I'm making these for the cafe or a dinner party I'd probably go with the all-over look. They both look pretty cute.
The family however, was divided on the subject, we had two votes for the apple-all-over, and 2 for the apple-on-top look. In the interest of fair play we obviously need a tie breaker- so Dear Reader, we look to you.




Which look do you prefer for your Apple Almond Cake?

18 comments:

  1. Happy Spring, darling! The apple cakes looks moist and luscious, although the mandoline made my fingers tingle with fear.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the apple around the outside of these. How smart they do look. YOu have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks simple enough and delicious to boot! Where I live, all the blossoms, magnolias, daisies have gone nuts and are sprouting like crazy. Am not looking forward to a hayfever spring...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so gorgeous :) and sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they both look great, but I do like the simplistic nature of just the one slice of apple on top. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Spring! Personally I like the one with the apple just on top, the contrast in colours makes it interesting to look at :) But I'd happily devour either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Spring to you! I loved the warmer temps this week (and I think it started a little bit early). Lovely looking cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's such a pretty cake~
    I've been missing baking time! Been soo busy >.<

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely way to welcome spring - they look so pretty. I am welcoming spring with stuffed sinuses, loud sneezes, antihistamines and nasal sprays - the traditional way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy spring Intolerant Chef! Your apple & almond cakes are certainly a great usher for a new season!

    I've never used a mandolin to shave apples and I love the beautiful pattern on the apple slices. Just gave me an idea for an apple salad too - just in time for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are beautiful! Even though we are heading into autumn here in Houston, these would still be a tasty treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so ready for fall baking too! These are beautiful! I love both versions and I definitely would want them with some lactose free ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Apples and almonds are two of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound wonderful. I like the look of both ways. Anything with almonds in it I always I love. This week my kitchen has seen far too much chocolatey stuff made, so these look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. found this really interesting because it sounds like the opposite of an apple charlotte, which i did recently, but well it was pineapple. anway thought it looked really pretty with the apples surrounding the cake/pastry inside, instead of an apple filling inside! looks and sounds absolutely yummy though, and love that it's gluten-free!

    i vote apple all over!

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/07/spiced-pineapple-charlotte-with-coconut.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect spring time treat :) would be great for a picnic in the park!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Lovelies, I hope the Spring is good to you, and doesn't bring too many tissues and sneezes. Our cars have been dusted with yellow the last few days, as the pollen flies and the blossoms bloom.

    Celia- Don't let them smell fear! Don't EVER use them without the finger gaurd or your just asking for trouble :) Happy Spring to you too!

    Sherilyn- Thankyou so much. Sometimes it's nice to play with your food!

    Msihua- I'm doing a magnolia post soon too, but for eating, not for sniffing! Hope you don't suffer too much with the spring pollen :(

    Muppy- Thanks, I hope the back-to-work transition is going well for you.

    Emma- Me too, especially since I wouldn't bother to pre-cook them!

    JasmyneTea- Thanks, I think that's the way to go too, I wish I could send you one. Maybe if you popped over for a cuppa?

    Lorraine- Thankyou! It has been an early spring- yay! I can hardly wait until daylight savings :)

    Yuki- You need to slow down and take time to smell the roses (or apple blossoms!) Hope you get your baking vibe on again soon.

    Amanda- We hear you honey! We who are about to sneeze, salute you!

    Chopinandmysaucepan- Thanks! They do look so pretty, and when they're shaved so nice an thinly the seed star bits don't give you any trouble either. Love to see your salad!

    Heather- Apples are pefect and so fresh in Autumn, these would be great for the fall wheather.

    Sarena- Thanks, I bet you've got a great recipe for one on your blog?

    Kath- They go so well together too, don't they?

    Cityhippyfarmgirl- But if you make these, won't the apples and nuts cancel out the chocolate calories? Perfect match!

    Shu Han- Thanks, your dessert sounds lovely, I love pineapple and coconut, I'll head over for a look.

    Nic- A picnic would be lovely! Perfect springy activity!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a brilliant idea to coat those little cakes with apple slices! :D

    ReplyDelete