I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

March 16, 2012

Oh My, What A Pie!

















Nothing like a challenge to get my creative cheffing ideas going, and I do believe my new pie dish is issuing one!

I saw it the other day and just had to buy it. It's made of enamel, and came as a set with a little pastry brush and a ceramic pie funnel. I can forsee lots of happy pie making days with this little lovely indeed!


The pie funnel is a terrific way to avoid a soggy pastry top. It has little legs and is hollow, which allows it to hold the crust up without sagging, and allows steam to escape venting it outside so moisture doesn't build up underneath.
(Please excuse my fingernails, Dear Readers, I had been blackberry picking and couldn't scrub out all the stubborn juice stains!)


















Decisions, decisions....
What pie to make? I didn't really want to do a blackberry pie, as I had other plans for those lovelies, and insted went with a savoury pie for our dinner. Cider Chicken Pie.
Lots of chunky bits of meat, some veggies, sweetness from the cider and a zing from some mustard. Perfect!

I have to admit I cheated a little. My arms just aren't up to making my own pastry yet, so I used a frozen gluten free Rough Puff. I won't state the brand as I'd had it in the freezer for waaay too long and it was very dried out and freezer-burnt. I'm so happy to have some great manufacturers looking after us InTolerants that I don't want people to judge thier products for my mistakes.
But it still tasted good!



Just a word on my choice of chicken:
I always choose thigh fillets over breast fillets for my family. The meat is tastier, juicier and works much better for a dish like this. I actually never buy breast fillets, I don't see the point, I just find the thighs better and as a bonus even a dollar or two cheaper. That's just a personal choice though, I also hate drumsticks, but love wings!




















Chicken Cider Pie
















Filling

700 grm Chicken Thigh Fillets
375ml Dry Apple Cider
1 nice fat Leek
1/4 bunch of Celery
1/4 cup Gluten free Flour
1/3 cup lactose free Cream
2 Tab Mustard
Several cloves of Garlic
Bunch of Parsley
Fresh ground Pepper


Chop the thigh fillets into nice decent chunks, you want something to sink your teeth into- not just sauce.
















Slice the leek fairly thinly into rounds and the celery into smallish cubes, then sweat them and the garlic down in a little oil until nice and soft and sweet. Remove from pan and set aside
















Add a slug of oil to the pan, then seal the chicken off well
















Add in the flour and mustard and stir around to coat the chicken. Cook it off for a minute or two while stirring to make sure it doesn't stick
















Pour in the cider and mix it through to form the sauce, make sure you scrape the bottom of the pan well to get up all the yummy brown bits
















Tip in the cream, and let the sauce bubble away and thicken into yumminess. Check for seasoning, I didn't include salt in the recipe as I find the mustard can be quite salty, but it's up to you and your taste buds
















Mix the veggies back through, allow to cool, then stir in the chopped parsley
yes, I did forget that bit, but don't worry, I scooped all the filling back out of the dish and added it through. I knew it would be missing the earthy green note to ground the flavours if I left the parsely out.

















Place the pie funnel in the middle of the greased pie dish, then spoon the filling all around
















Roll out your pastry to fit the top of the pie dish, making sure you press the edges down firmly to seal it well.  Decorate with any scraps to make your pie beautiful and let your imagination fly

Brush your lovely creation with an egg wash to add gloss and colour as it bakes, and sprinkle with some sesame or poppy seeds for a bit of textural crunch- and because it looks good too!


















Bake your pie in a fairly hot oven , until the filling is hot and bubbly and the crust is nice and crispy. Mine took about 45 minutes.


















Serve up your pie with some mashed potatoes to help soak up any yummy sauce and a few more veggies.
Overall, I thought my pie turned out very well indeed, and hopefully lived up to my pie dish challenge. Oh My!


So Dear Readers, do you prefer the chicken breasts or chicken thighs, or any other particular cut the most?

30 comments:

  1. OMG you're too cute! I love your pie decorating skills :D the pie dish is also fab! Im with you on the thighs for a dish like this, def works better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The decorating is actually hiding all the patches Nic :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful looking pie. I just love how you decorated it! That is very special. Great ingredients too. I love leeks in my chicken pies. What a great mid-week Autumn family meal. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie Louie! It's definitly time to bring on the braises and warmer meals, especially as it's going down to just 4* tonight already!

      Delete
  3. Ooh if I had room to collect anything, it would be tin toys or pie funnels. That is a real cute one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pie funnels too, and remember one from a few years back that was a galah. I so wish I bought it when I saw it insteaad of putting it off Lorraine:( This cutie says Piping Hot Pie!

      Delete
  4. That is fantastic, do you have a recipe for the pastry? I did make a box pastry but it was horrible!

    We too love the thigh pieces, for exactly the same reason. (Beats me why I bought breast pieces today!!)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Who-Ever-You-Are! I'm working on a rough puff for in a couple of weeks, it's hard to get right with no stretchiness in the pastry. Stay tuned and I'll let you know how I go :)

      Delete
  5. I want to come to your house for dinner - looks so so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time indeed Ina! But be glad it wasn't last night- my daughter made quiche and accidentally added a cup of gf flour to the filling, it was like cake not quiche, but we ate it to not hurt her feelings :P

      Delete
  6. Yum, this looks absolutely delicious. I have to know, where did you find that cute pie dish please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy, it was a Jamie Oliver one. A bit pricey for what it is, but just so cute :)

      Delete
  7. Cider in my pies??? LOVE IT!!! What a great dish to serve for the entire family. And I always love seeing you use one of your many (MANY) aweseome cookie moulds hahahha... You should take a photo of your entire collection for all of us to see one day lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Winston, I should do a homage to the cookie cutter! I have so many and I love them all! I'm trying to track down a flying pig cutter next :)

      Delete
  8. Thigh fillets, drumsticks and wings, not necessarily in that order. Becca, I squealed when I saw the pie tin, you know how in love with that shape I am! Your pie looks amazing, and I loved the chooky pastry appliques! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnks Celia, but I was covering up all the patches in the dried out pastry! The tin is great though, it gets nice and hot and it's not heavy at all- I know it's going to get a good work out over winter for sure :)

      Delete
  9. Of course you had to buy that pie dish, Bec - who wouldn't!!
    Lovely recipe and a gorgeous pie - hmm, I have some thighs in the fridge, actually ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else with good sense Amanda! Of course I had too :)

      Delete
  10. What a fantastic winter recipe! I love the decoration you put on the crust =)

    I'm a thigh person, myself.. I find that the breast just isn't juicy enough for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Lucy, it dries out way too fast for my liking :(

      Delete
  11. Dear InTolerant Chef,

    This pie filling is like my all time favourite for a nice puff pastry pie or for my retro chicken a la king recipe except I never thought of using cider. I love the addition of green peas to give it that retro look too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Chopinand :) The cider is a nice change from white wine, but then I dont get to open a bottle and have to not waste it... Oh well- I'll open one anyway!

      Delete
  12. I bought gf pastry at the supermarket today.
    It is ALL YOUR FAULT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh No Janet! You were doing so well with the Paleo too :( It must be because New Zealanders always follow the tends us Aussies set!

      Delete
  13. Cider chicken pie - love!! so happy pie season is coming up :) I enjoy both the thigh and breast - thigh for cacciatore style dishes and stews, breast from the BBQ chicken shop ;)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good compromise Heidi! It's certainy pie and pudding season with the temperature dropping and daylight savings on the wane

      Delete
  14. mmmmm i love this type of filling, looks and sounds delicious. and your decorating is so sweet, LOVE :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muppy! I so hate to waste the little off cuts, my daughters loved it too :)

      Delete
  15. MMMMM,..;your chicken pie looks just stunning & fabulous! I love your very decorative pie top :) That design makes me smile,...a lot :)

    Yummy yummy for my tummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is seriously one of the best decorated pies I've ever seen. Will be bookmarking this one with a view to making a more *cough* rustic looking version (it's all I'd be capable of!).

    ReplyDelete