I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

June 27, 2012

Chilli Corn Bread



















We're finally past the Winter Solstice. The shortest day, and longest night of the year.

That should be good news- right?

I guess the good news is that we are inching towards Spring..... slowly
But the bad news is that we still have the coldest days of the year ahead of us.



This calls for even more rib-sticking goodness and gratuitous carbs as we comfort ourselves with comfort food and the knowlege that This Too, Shall Pass. By making a more savoury recipe this week I feel very virtuous indeed, as it has been a real struggle not to surcumb to my cravings for hot, sticky puddings dripping with syrup and doused with lactose free cream.

I sure hope you appreciate it



Any way, I was wanting something yummy to mop up gravy and pan juices of all the slow cooked meals we've been having lately. Not bread exactly, but not going to the effort of dumplings either. I eneded up deciding on Corn Bread.






















Fairly light, sweetness from the corn, bite from the chilli, and all pulled together with the mildness of the cheese. I used soy cheese today as it's a lot less assertive in flavour than my favourite goat cheese, and I wanted the bread to be versatile. As you can see it was not photographed with the slow cooked shoulder of lamb, or the sticky baked goat ribs we also had this week for dinners, but with littlej's tin of Baked Beans. Her comfort food of choice as she's home sick this week. It just goes to show how this Cornbread goes well with evrything!

For this version I used 2 types of cornmeal- fine Polenta and Mexican style Masa Flour. You can use gluten free plain flour in place of the Masa, but watch the liquid as you might not need nearly as much.
























Chilli Corn Bread




















2 cups fine Corn Meal/Masa Corn Flour
1 cup Polenta
2 cups tinned Creamed Corn
1 cup Corn Kernels
1 cup Water or lactose free Milk
3 eggs
1/2 cup grated soy cheese (or other lactose free type)
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1 tablespoon Oil
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 finely chopped Chilli
Tabasco Sauce to taste
Salt






Thoroughly mix together the dry ingredients




















Whisk up the eggs, adding the water, creamed corn and oil




















Add both mixtures together, then pop in the kernels, sauce, chilli and cheese. Don't over mix



















Isn't it a pretty mix, with all the yellow and red flecks ?





















Pour into a greased cake tin, then bake at 200*C for an hour



















Let it cool down for a while before slicing and serving with some yummy beans so there's something to soak up into the bready goodness, yummo!


















This is a lovely bread with a large, loose crumb. Certainly not meant for sandwiches or suchlike, but perfect as a side dish with your wintery warmer of choice


























So Dear Readers, do you like something to soak up the juices or gravy of your favourite Winter Dishes?





























.






32 comments:

  1. Hehe I love your optimism about spring being near. I cannot wait another second personally! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw blossom out this week Lorraine! So very exciting despite out 3 days in a row of minus 6*C!!

      Delete
  2. That's a delicious looking corn bread. I just made a self-saucing pudding - it's just that time of year! I was so pleased that the shortest day has passed but then we still have a long way to go. Can't wait for warm weather. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Charlie! I made pudding for my next post too, got to get them in quick before it gets too warm :)

      Delete
  3. Love the corn bread! Being on the other side of the world we are in summer. Well, at least we are supposed to be - the weather is cool, gray, gray and more gray with rain in the forecast! We can't wait for warm weather too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refuse to feel sympathy for you when I'm trying to start the car and scrape ice off my windscreen at minus 6*C Ina :) But I bet you have a lot worse in winter too, so maybe just a little....

      Delete
  4. I really like when there are veggie pieces in baked things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. corn bread, now thats taking bread to the next level .. and with chilli.. nice... i dont think i could survive eating that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chilli warms you up from the inside out though Dolly :) My mum had a servere reaction to a chilli once and had to be put on life support for a bit, it was pretty scary, but she still loves them!

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to make cornbread. Love the addition of the chilli :) perfect with beans too - winter goodness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Nic, stick-to-the-ribs food. Unfortunately most wintery goodies are stick-to-the-hips-and-backside-and-thighs type of foods :(

      Delete
  7. MMMMMMMMM,..What a lovely & tasty chili corn bread! A must make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope yoe enjoy it Sophie, let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
  8. I love cornbread and I haven't had it in a long time! Now you've inspired me. Looks absolutely mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fabulous, dearheart. Pete adores cornbread, so I'll have to try this out for him, and as you know, there's a surfeit of masa flour here at the moment! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you when I made it ctually Celia! I hope Pete approves :)

      Delete
  10. Well, this sure looks great. I've not had much luck with corn bread in the past & often end up with something that is more solid and stodgy than I'd like. I'll be trying it your way, next time - thanks Bec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it works out Amanda, I hope this one doesn't let you down! Good luck :)

      Delete
  11. I'm totally making this, it looks so comforting, PLUS, I love baked beans, lol, so that's probably how I'm going to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love anything with polenta in it...and this looks great. Especially with hot soup. I'll jotting this recipe down:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having some hot soup for lunch, but my cornbread is long gone :( Can I share yours?

      Delete
  13. You know what? That mixture alone looks quite yum and I would happily just eat that (gross I know).. but Mmmm corn makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love corn too Msihua! Fresh, frozen, even tinned :)

      Delete
  14. Delicious! I just made polenta mixed with creamed corn for my daughter the other day. She would love this (minus the chilli). Bookmarked! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Poppy loves it too Christie! Maybe in little mini muffin sized bites?

      Delete
  15. Lol! Your post wast a revelation to me! It never occurred to me that the shortest day must equal the longest night ;) I always thought it was a downer to be robbed time to do stuff but the upside...

    I love the idea of a chili corn bread to mop up the sauce from my comfort food yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How Funny! They sort of do go hand in hand :)
      So need the comfort food this time of year.. but Spring is coming!!!

      Delete
  16. Far out Im hearing you...soooo over winter. All I can eat is stodge and stews and soups! Im going to be the fattest bride in the world at this rate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cornbread looks to die for! I love the combo of beans and cornbread - yum, yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete