I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

November 11, 2013

Lest We Forget- Raspberry Poppy Seed Cake for Remembrance Day



Hello My Lovelies!

Did you remember that today is Remembrance Day (11 November) that marks the anniversary of the armistice which ended the First World War?  Each year Australians observe one minute silence at 11 am on 11 November, in memory of those who died or suffered in all wars and armed conflicts.

I always seem to buy enough silk poppies for a bouquet each year, and the colour is so beautiful and vivid that I wanted to replicate it in a cake. At first I thought about a Red Velvet cake, but as I'm not too fond of plain chocolate I came up with Raspberry and Poppy seed instead. I just wish I could give a slice to all the indefatigable fund raisers out there at the poppy stands who do such a great job each year- well done!




Raspberry Poppy Seed Cake

3 1/2 cups SR gluten free Flour
2 cups Castor Sugar
4 Eggs
1 cup Oil
2 tablespoons lactose free Milk or substitute
300gm packet frozen Raspberries
1/3 cup or packet Poppy seeds
2 tablespoons Red Colouring
2 tsp Vanilla (or Raspberry) Flavouring - I actually used Raspberry White Balsamic


Now you can see from this photo that I actually made my cake with lactose free spread instead of oil, but as it turned out a little dry I would definitely use the oil next time. The step by step instructions will be the same if you use the oil, but the photos are obviously using the spread which makes for a fluffier look



Beat the oil/ spread and butter until nicely incorporated and a bit fluffy, then add in the eggs one at a time and beat well




Add in the flour and the milk




I always like to add in any colouring or flavouring now as I find it disperses better in the finished cake




So pretty once you beat it through!




Add in the defrosted berries and the poppy seeds and give it all another good mix to let the berries disintegrate into the batter




Full of seedy goodness




Pop the batter into your prepared cake tins- I made two 18cm cakes




Bake at 180*C for about 50 minutes or so until cooked through



Look at the split cake- it looks just like a Dragon Fruit doesn't it?




I filled and covered my cakes with a dark chocolate ganache- and yes I cracked the outside because I didn't let it warm up to room temperature :(




I think the finished cake was very pretty and very tasty with all the raspberry yummies- just a tad dry so make sure you use the oil! The pop of the poppy seeds was quite a nice texture change form the smooth cake- just make sure you check your teeth before you have to smile :)




So Dear Readers, did your work place stop to observe a minutes silence today, and do you like poppy seeds too?









22 comments:

  1. The colours are just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww what a beautiful cake for Remembrance Day. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful cake Rebecca! Great remembrance day dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful cake and so good of you to do something special for Remembrance Day. I love how you covered it in ganache and the raspberry flavour must be so strong in this - raspberry and chocolate - winning combination xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my very favourite flavour combinations for sure Charlie! And any excuse to eat extra chocolate is a good thing :) xox

      Delete
  5. Beautiful colour, Bec… and such a lovely cake to bake for Remembrance Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful cake, Bec. And such a perfect colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! Next year I'll take some to the veterans selling the poppies at the stall- as long as they can handle all those little seeds! xox

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous looking cake!
    YUM!!
    I would love to make this one, so pretty... delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it really did look like a red Dragon Fruit- very tropical :)

      Delete
  9. How very lovely Rebecca, That you have written a post on Remembrance day. I missed it this year. i was on a plane and it took off at 11.10am, so there was no mention and I felt sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania! What a shame they didn't say something over the PA system :( I hope you had a nice trip though xox

      Delete
  10. A Lovely gesture indeed to write a post on that special, solemn day.
    And the pretty, pink cake looks like it came from the Wonderland Alice lives in :)

    Thanks for the recipe, dear. Very fragrant and glamorous. Love the sight of the smiling Poppies too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou indeed! It does look very bright doesn't it? Maybe the Red Queen would have approved!

      Delete