I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

November 3, 2014

In My Kitchen- November 2014




Hasn't this year just flown by!

I always feel that way this time of year,  the trouble is, there's still so much left to do!

littlej has exam week coming up, then her Formal and Graduation Ceremonies, throw in a quick trip interstate, a birthday or 4, plus just the usual, and I bet the next couple of months will feel like they're not just flying by but breaking the sound barrier as well :)

Anyway, the start of each month is also time to grab a cuppa and catch up with some Bloggy Buddies with Celia's In My Kitchen Roundup. Check out what everyone else is up to here and maybe make a friend or two along the way...




In My Kitchen...
is a huge bowl of fresh Australian Peaches. The price was completely ridiculous at $3.40 a kilo- what a steal this early in the season!



In My Kitchen...
are some fun Mugs I picked up at Victoria's Basement as we never seem to have enough. Maybe if people could just rinse and re-use the same mug a couple of times...but that's way too hard apparently :)



In My Kitchen...
is a present for me from littlej, she's a very thoughtful girl indeed



In My Kitchen...
is some Wasabi flavoured Kewpie Mayonnaise. Very nice with just a touch of the wasabi burn that I adore. Great for the sinuses!



In My Kitchen...
another toy to play with, some Decoration Spoons. I thought I'd give them a go to see if they can help my plating skills look a bit prettier. The little spout at the end is supposed to help give you more control so you have nice lines and squiggles and don't just end up with blobs of goo on the plate



In My Kitchen...
are some cute little tins of Flower Flavoured Drops. Violet and rose- you know I just can't resist them



Not for the Kitchen...
but worth mentioning even though it's not Food, it's a Flavour... is some Jasmine flavoured Toothpaste! It's actually so lovely and such a nice change from the usual mint, mint or mint :)



In My Kitchen...
are some Dates bought back by a friend who's been travelling in the Middle East lately. The packet states that 'Whoever has seven Ajwa dates every morning, he will not be harmed that day by poison or magic'.



In My Kitchen...
are some absolutely humongous Tomahawk Steaks that I bought for BigJ. At more than 1.5kg each though, he may need some help getting through them. I plan on doing them with the sous vide method so they cook through slowly and gently to the perfect medium rare, then sealing them off on high heat to get a nice crust- yummo!



In My Kitchen...
are some Riedel Crystal Wine Tumblers from MiddleC. She occasionally gets some fantastic promotional freebies from work and these were one of those windfalls. I'm sure I'll be able to put them to very good use indeed



Next to My Kitchen...
is Christmas! Well, the beginnings of it anyway :) I can hardly wait to put the trees up each year, so I always start early. We were up at 12.01am on the first of November and started playing Christmas Carols- don't judge me- and I just love filling the house with beautiful reminders of the Holiday Season


So Dear Readers, what's going on in your Kitchen this month, and when do you put up your Christmas Tree?


 

51 comments:

  1. This time of year gets crazy, and I love it!!!

    I can't eat wasabi mayo though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a room just for this one holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my room is for once I move out.

      Delete
    2. So true my dear- so hurry up! :) xox xox

      Delete
  3. What a lovely collection of goodies you have there Bec... the decorating spoons have caught my eye! Where did you find those, lovely? Happy cooking xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're from Voctoria's Basement in Sydney Liz, they're lots of fun indeed :)

      Delete
  4. I've always wondered about the Marvis toothpaste and whether it's good or not. I must give it a go! I can barely think about Christmas though. I need to recover from Halloween first :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving Lorraine, but I don't think BigJ would :) So many holidays, and they all come up at once this time of year! xox

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen those spoons before, I'll be curious to see how they work. Christmas already, and I thought I loved Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They take a little getting used to Danielle, but I'm having lots of fun with them. I LOVE Christmas, and you ain't seen nothin' yet! I have three trees up now :)

      Delete
  6. MANGOES are in my kitchen. I LOVE mangoes and there are MANGOES in my kitchen. Yay for late Spring and Summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Gary, so delicious and they just smell like Summer to me :)

      Delete
  7. It's never too early to get ready for Christmas. I hope you show us your trees when they're done. Was one of them upside down last year? I have to say I've never had jasmine toothpaste. I do love the sound of the sous vide steaks and they certainly are Flintstone sized! I need one of those 'Mum Rules' mugs - desperately! And it's the same in this house - no one uses the same cup twice; they just reach for another xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Charlie! The Christmas post will definitely be up, I love to show off my trees. The mug is reat, now if the family would just believe it!!! xox

      Delete
  8. What a nice selection of goodies you have in your kitchen, never heard of jasmine toothpaste before, how interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes great too Cheri , such a nice change from mint :)

      Delete
  9. Your fun mugs are really fun! Even funny, in fact. I love the tins, too!!!

    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitchens should always be fun and pretty as well as full of good food Julie :)

      Delete
  10. I put up the tree after Thanksgiving. I've noticed Australians don't have a date that everyone waits for before decorating.

    Your swag of Christmas puts mine to shame. :)

    Lots going on at your place this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you're right Maureen, a lot of people I know wait until the first of December but that's waaay too late for me! My friend had her trees up by Halloween, so I was running late :) x

      Delete
  11. Love your decorating spoons!
    Have a lovely day.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the keep calm mugs! And I so want to taste that toothpaste - sounds yum for some strange reason :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really yum Tandy, but you still wouldn't want to swallow it :)

      Delete
  13. I can't think about Christmas too much yet. I can talk and plan menus, but baking and decorating will wait until after Thanksgiving. The Keep Calm mugs are brilliant! I could go for some fresh peaches too, unfortunately our season is long over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have Thanksgiving to worry about here Gretchen, but I think it's a wonderful holiday and think we should institute one celebrating general thankfulness and taking time to count our blessings :)

      Delete
  14. My mouth watered looking at those peaches, we'll have to wait until next year now.

    And, I was so happy to see someone whose holiday boxes could be our own. I love Christmas decorating. We usually wait until after Thanksgiving although the stores and my catalog bin are already full of Christmas stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This photo was taken before I added another whole tree and decorations to the pile Liz. And I'm buying another one this week- don't tell my husband :)

      Delete
  15. Ouch! Youve made me feel a bit like I'm a bit tardy with my Christmas planning. Hadn't given it a thought till I read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time just flies by this time of year, that's for sure :)

      Delete
  16. G'day It must be the heat as I thought I commented the other day!
    I can almost smell your peaches from here! Thanks for this month's kitchen view also! Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they pretty indeed Joanne, I just love the stone fruit this time of year- yummo!

      Delete
  17. I love the first summer fruit too, I got so excited last month when we got our first mangoes! $3.40 for peaches is a great price for this stage though...now I’m just waiting for the cherries :)
    I haven’t started on Christmas decorating yet, but planning for Christmas baking is well underway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm behind on my baking, it's been quite humid here with our 'swampy' water cooler and I like nice dry weather for baking. I'd better hurry up though!

      Delete
  18. Well, you've just solved something for me. I've seen those funny spoons and wondered what they were for. And thank heavens you are now safe from magic - who knows what might have happened!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rebecca would you do a post (or more) on using a sous vide?
    I am intrigued. Anything that cooks meat perfectly sounds good to me.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done one post a while back Janet http://intolerantchef.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/pomegranate-lamb-with-autumn-salad-and.html
      I so tend to steer away from posts using unusual methods just to keep my blog user friendly, but I'll try to get another one up after Christmas for you sweetie x

      Delete
  20. It was exciting to see your little tins of Flavigny sweets. We visited the shop/factory where they are made when we were in France a couple of months ago. Flavigny is the most gorgeous little town. It was where the movie Chocolat was filmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely Christine! I remember that town fro the movie and it looked gorgeous. Did you know that they've just released a Chocolat cookbook linking in with the movie? I don't know why they waited so long! :)

      Delete
  21. And so it begins.. Christmas that is! I always look forward to seeing how your Christmas wonderland house goes, Becca! I saw those little decorator spoons on special at Peters of Kensington, I'd love to know what you think of them! What I haven't seen ever is tomahawk steaks on sale! :) And what a fab freebie from Middle C - I didn't think anyone gave away Riedels for free! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie! We've added an extra little tree this year, but I've gotten carried away as usual and am picking up yet another this week- I think I have a problem!! THe spoons are quite good actually, you get a lot more definition with them. The steaks were at Aldi of all places, and the glasses were a promotional deal with a wine commpany- lucky me! :)

      Delete
  22. Wow bec a giant haul and lots of gifts from your breautiful girls. ( how did the exams go?). I wish I could get Skater excited about Christmas. Maybe we should come rto your house!. never heard of jasmin toothpaste but it's purple so it must be good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness the exams are over for now Tania, this week we've got her graduation and formal to look forward to :) You are more than welcome to come here any time of course sweetie, we always cook enough for an army! The toothpaste is yummy indeed, and purple is both the girls favourite colour too xox

      Delete
  23. Wow those spoons look awesome! I'm going to be on the lookout for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them at Victoria's Basement in Sydney Lucy, they might have them on their website :)

      Delete
  24. I could use that bowl of peaches :) Love the Mum rules mug as well!

    www.ameriaus.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. hehehee oh I just love the mug that says "don't tell me to keep calm"
    The peaches that I've tried so far this season have been delicious.
    And yes, I also think this year has gone incredibly quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sandy- I hate being told what to do :) These peaches are lovely as well, and we've still got the whole season ahead of us- yay!

      Delete