I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

January 24, 2015

In a Pickle!



This is the time of year when my garden comes into it's own

We've had LOTS of rain, LOTS of sun, and long, long Summer days. All of this adds up to LOTS of veggies!

The only thing that's confusing me is that my garden has somehow gone all topsy-turvey.
Normally I have heaps of carrots, capsicums and beans, and struggle to get a cucumber or two growing. But this year the cucumbers are starting to strangle the garden, my carrots are hibernating and my beans reluctantly spat out 6 pods. Who knows? I figure the best way is just to plant, plant, plant and hope for the best. With this weeks rain achieving one third of our annual precipitation in just one day and the bulk of the heat yet to come, my garden may spring into tropical mode and surprise me with bananas growing from the compost heap :)


Cucumbers aren't great keepers, they really need to be eaten fairly quickly after harvest. I have put them in salads, made instant pickles, juiced them, made cocktails and sorbet, gazpacho, given them away....and still have more than I can deal with. Littlej and I eat a lot of pickles/gherkins, so the logical choice was to process some ourselves for the lean times when the garden hunkers down for winter
Lovely fresh herbs, garlic from the garden and a simple pickling vinegar makes this a nice and easy recipe that will have you wishing you had cucumbers growing in your garden too



Cucumber Pickles

5 medium Cucumbers
3 cups White Vinegar
2 cups Sugar
1 head of Garlic
2 Tb Mustard Seeds
Dill
Salt

Slice the cucumbers nice and thin- the easiest way to do this is with a mandoline slicer



Layer the the slices in a colander and sprinkle each layer with a dusting of salt. The idea is to allow the salt to draw out some of the natural water in the cucumbers so they will stay crisp and last longer in the pickle. Leave these overnight



Rinse briefly to remove the salt, then drain well or pat dry



See how nice and bendy they are now? You couldn't do this with a fresh piece



Pop the vinegar, sugar, seeds and sliced garlic into a pot and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes



While the vinegar is boiling, fold the slices into warm, sterilized jars and add a few sprigs of dill to each



Pour the hot vinegar into the jars to almost the top, tapping them hard on the bench to make sure there are no air bubbles hiding in the cucumber slices. Make sure the slices are fully covered


Screw on the clean jar lids then turn the jars upside down briefly so the boiling hot vinegar comes in contact with the lid as well
Let the jars sit on the bench overnight to cool, the lids should pop down as a vacuum is formed and seal the contents perfectly. If any of them don't pop down, put them in the fridge and use first

You can of course eat these pickles after a day or two, but they really do taste much better indeed if you leave them for a few weeks to mellow and mature. The colour will change from bright green to a sort of khaki, but that's just from the acid and is nothing to worry about at all


Sweet and tangy, sharp and crunchy and with the fragrance of dill- Perfect with a Ploughman's lunch, delicious indeed!

So Dear Readers, do you like pickles and what's growing in your garden right now?


11 comments:

  1. What a great idea for an abundance of cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, juice them aslo, very cleansing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anything nicer than fresh cucumbers?! I miss making pickles and preserves like this.... unlike my ex, Peter doesn't like them at all. Lovely recipe Bec xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pickles cut this way! Sandwich size! I make pickles a lot but I'll be making them this way next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cucumber pickles, especially the Asian style ones that my mum makes. I must give these a go too, they look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck to your garden with all the interesting weather. I have never been a fan of cucumbers except when they're pickled - I eat them straight from the jar. Your pickles look so good and I'd love to enjoy them in a bread roll like the one you've shown xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a timely recipe for me, thanks Bec. My dog is eating all of my tomatoes while green, but the cukes are going gangbusters. At the moment, I'm not letting visitors leave our house without a cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I'd love to start pickling - I've never done it before but it looks pretty simple and straightforward!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love and adore cucumber pickles! Our plant isn't producing yet though - it just keeps growing leaves. I suspect we've planted another bloody trombie by mistake! Thanks for the recipe darling xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree! The older the pickles the tastier! This make us drool, LOL!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a wonderful idea for cucumbers. I will give this a try!

    ReplyDelete