I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

July 28, 2014

Beautiful Blood Orange Cupcakes




Cupcakes are just so cute aren't they?


I know they've been done-to-death, but there is just something so appealing about a whole little cake all for yourself that sucks me in every time. The frosting to cake ratio doesn't hurt either :)

I've still been having so much fun playing with my case of Blood Oranges, and as my Last Recipe was savoury, it was definitely time for something sweet. In a vague attempt to ease my conscience I included some healthy almond meal this time- but who's kidding, it just makes them even yummier instead!




Blood Orange Almond Cupcakes

1 3/4 cup gluten free SR Flour
3 1/4 cup Almond Meal
1 tsp gf Baking Powder
220 lactose free margarine/spread
1 2/3 cup Castor Sugar
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Blood Orange Juice
1/4 cup lactose free Yoghurt
pinch of Salt
zest of one Blood Orange


Zest the orange first of all, so you won't forget to do so after you cut and juice it. Much easier this way, I promise!




Cream the butter and sugar together until nice, creamy and fluffy




Add in the eggs and orange zest and beat in for a minute or so
Before:
After:



Fold in the rest of the ingredients carefully, keep it nice and light




Lovely and lightly tinted from the juice




Divvy up the batter into 24 cupcake papers

 


Bake for about 20mins at 170*C, then let the cakes sit in the pan for 5 minutes before carefully placing on a rack to cool down completely
As you might be able to tell I left out a crucial ingredient- the baking powder! Ooops! As these little sweeties are fairly dense from the almond meal, it doesn't really matter though, it just means they stayed a bit flatter than usual




I added an extra layer of deliciousness by filling my cupcakes with some sublime Blood Orange Curd- because, well..why not?




A crowning glory swirl of  Buttercream Frosting, using half blood orange juice for the liquid, and tinting it a nice mixture of orange food colouring




Before finally topping it all of with a wedge of candied blood orange slices




Now aren't these pretty indeed!
The almond meal adds a bit of body to these cupcakes without leaving them too dense at all. The orange flavour is definitely much better the next day after it's had time to settle in and really mingle with the rest of the ingredients, and with the extra layering of orange in the frosting they are really quite delicious indeed




So Dear Readers, what's your favourite flavour cupcake, and have you ever left an ingredient out of a recipe by accident- or is that just me?


Thanks again to Redbelly Citrus for providing me with a case of their amazing Blood Oranges to play with!

 

18 comments:

  1. oooooo blood oranges!!!

    I'm about to get a stack of regular organges from mum so need ideas like these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona! I hope you find some yumminess with your bounty of oranges :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, It's easy with such yummy raw ingredients :)

      Delete
  3. You've outdone yourself Rebecca! I thought that your sardines were delicious but then these are even more so :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. These really are so very pretty. Stunning! What a great little cake with the curd and the frosting and the candied blood orange sllice - there's just so much more to these than the standard cupcake. Love all the elements you have combined here and what a gorgeous colour they are - so refreshing from the commonly used, pink xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Charlie, what generous praise indeed! Xox

      Delete
  5. These are definitely pretty cupcakes. They even have a nifty surprise inside. You've outdone yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting zesty cupcakes! Yum!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those a beautiful cupcake, love the orange colors! I am going to try this one :)

    check out my site if you get a chance, recent post; Vanilla Ice Cream
    Michael
    http://michaelswoodcraft.wordpress.com/2014/07/29/vanilla-ice-cream-2/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much Lorraine, that's made my day! Xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh shut up! Blood orange cupcakes. I love cupcakes and cupcakes with curd and frosting. So beautiful . You have really made the most of those oranges

    ReplyDelete