I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

August 4, 2014

In My Kitchen- August 2014




Happy August Dear Readers!

It's still cold over here, but instead of hibernating I've been having lots of fun finding goodies to play with and to bring a bit of excitement to my Family Feasting

It's also that time when I link up with Celia over at her fantastic blog HERE for the monthly In My Kitchen roundup. A great way to see what other foodie bloggers are up to and a great way to make a few friends along the way


In My Kitchen...
is a whole case of beautiful Blood Oranges from the guys at Redbelly Citrus. I've been having so much fun munching my way through them. Check out my recipes here and here if you need some Orange Inspiration



In My Kitchen...
is my new cookbook from Antonio Carluccio. I froze my gluten free buns off last weekend as I sat on  metal bleachers in mid-winter misery watching him cook as part of Canberra's Annual Truffle Festival


When I asked him to sign my book to The InTolerant Chef and explained what that meant, he insisted on signing it to The Courageous Chef as he said it took courage to cook for anyone at all with food InTolerances, let alone having them myself as a chef!



In My Kitchen...
are some of the Truffle I bought at the markets, hopefully infusing flavour and aroma into a few eggs overnight


My Truffle Treat! An Omlette cooked in butter and flavoured very simply with Truffles inside and out..mmmmm....



In My Kitchen...
are some little jars of Truffle I picked up at Aldi. Although not anywhere in the same league as fresh, they are still OK sliced over things for a bit of Culinary Bling




In My Kitchen...
is another type of 'Truffle', Corn Truffle from Mexico. I have actually been looking for these for ages but have no idea yet what on earth I'm going to do with them! Any suggestions anyone?



In My Kitchen...
Even more Truffle Goodies with these lovely Australian Anchovies. I have jars of truffled anchovies that are just so gorgeous, that when I saw these I had to snap them up too. I'm thinking of a very indulgent lunch with thick toasted gluten free bread, ripe tomatoes, and topped with these little babies
- yummo!



In My Kitchen...
is this gorgeous Raspberry Liquor that comes from the NSW Hunter Valley. Tamburlaine Wines are an organic vinyard that has an amazing commitment to the environment and just so happen to produce some very tasty wine indeed. Although I did buy quite a few varieties, this dessert wine is definitely my favourite to sip slowly and enjoy



In My Kitchen...
are some fabulous Lychee products I picked up at a food show. The lychees are all grown in Queensland and although they are delicous when fresh, these products take the lychee to a whole new level of yum



In My Kitchen...
are some spice sachets from the lovely ladies at Cooking Co-ordinates in the Belconen Fresh Food Markets. These were gifted to some of us Canberra Food Bloggers and are very tasty indeed. I enjoyed the Roast Vegetable mix sprinkled over some veggies and leg of lamb, and they were great. The Mulling Spice was simmered away in some apple and pear juice instead of wine, to make a family friendly drinky-poo that we could all enjoy



In My Kitchen...
is some Culinary Bling indeed! Mustard with gold dust and flavoured with white truffle, and gorgeous Himilayan salt that just looks way too pretty to use




In My Kitchen...
are some locally grown Woodear Mushrooms. I really love the texture they bring to a dish, and I enjoyed these little beauties stir fried with finely diced pork, lots of garlic and some tasty shiitake mushrooms as well. I normally buy these dried and have to soak them, so the fresh ones are a real treat indeed



In My Kitchen...
is some Spreadable Salami! I have to admit that initially I bought this for it's novelty value, but it really does taste very nice indeed. I've had it spread on crackers as snacks, but also stirred through pasatta for a spicy pasta sauce




In My Kitchen...
are some gorgeous Sheep Cheese products. I can tolerate sheep and goat milk quite well, and it's always nice to try a few different varieties when I come accross them



In My Kitchen...
is yet more novelty with some Cuttlefish Ink. I think I'll use this to colour fresh pasta and to add a bit of intrigue into my next risotto



In My Kitchen...
is another bargain buy from the supermarket- Lumpfish Caviar. It's pretty colour and great texture make it an interesting ingredient to play with and quite a cute garnish as well



In My Kitchen...
are oh-so-many finishing vinegars. I just love them and have at least a dozen or so... apricot, raspberry, mulberry, spiced apple, fig, pomegranate, vanilla- and now Beetroot too. They add a nice bit of sweet acidity to a dish, a bit of depth to salads, and sometimes just a bit of prettiness dotted across a plate. Very versatile



In My Kitchen...
are the new Gluten Free Weet-Bix! They taste amazing and just like I remember them. Thanks Sanitarium for thinking of us InTolerants



And finally, In My Kitchen...
are some gorgeous white roses from BigJ. Because he loves me very much...and because I was right and he was wrong. As per usual :)



So Dear Readers, what celebrity chefs would you like to meet, and what's going on in your kitchen this month?


 

49 comments:

  1. What a fabulous haul Rebecca! I must say that the signature to the courageous chef has got to be a highlight though although I think I like the sound of everything here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! I had a lot of weird and wonderful going on for sure :) xox

      Delete
  2. Wow you have a very full kitchen :-)
    Everything looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have so many incredible treasures in your kitchen!
    I have never tasted truffles before - I wouldn't even know where to buy them here in South Africa.
    Have a super day.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Mandy, you have to try and find some! They are sooo yummy, I wish I could send you some but I don't think they'd get through customs :)

      Delete
  4. Gluten free weetbix! What a great product for all those in need of GF items. I imagine it took a bit of work given weetbix were traditionally wheat. I love your orange supply too, and the look of that mulled spice mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste great too Kari! The spice mix was delicious indeed :)

      Delete
  5. I'm intolerant of several foods too, wheat, dairy, and onion/garlic being the primary ones. You are so right, it's all about focussing on what you can eat, rather than what you can't. How lovely of Antonio to recognise the strength it takes to be a chef who is wheat intolerant. Very interesting post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ardys! It must be difficult indeed to find foods without garlic or onions. I used to cook for a lady with these allergies and I can appreciate the effort it took to try and eat out occaisionally :)

      Delete
  6. I've never come across Spreadable Salami before. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg you have such great stuff in your kitchen! what a truffle fest:) I had seen that lychee liqueur before; i must hunt it up. better to have local produce every time. i love vinegars too and have several in my pantry but have never seen a beetroot one before. oh and framboise yum. too too many goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry! I hope you find that liquor- it's delicious!

      Delete
  8. Spreadable salami - how intriguing. I make several different vinegars but had never thought of beetroot. Maybe one to try out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the vinegar will go great with duck Anne, the sweet syrupy acid should cut through the rich fattiness really well- yummo!

      Delete
  9. Lots of lovely things in your kitchen. The lychee products look yummy. Where did you find the sardines? I would like to try them. There is always a bottle of frambois in my pantry. The golden mustard looks very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the sardines at Cooking Coordinates here in Canberra, but perhaps you could find them on line or at Essential Ingredient? Frambois is pretty yummy isn't it :)

      Delete
  10. Golly you have some amazing things to share this month! What an amazing gift from Antonio! So many goodies I'm going to have to check a few out. Thanks. Gold dust in the mustard.......gold!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, truffle, everiyting fancy with it
    btw, how much did you pay for it ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fresh truffles were available at the markets for $2.50 a gram. Luckily a little goes a long way!

      Delete
  12. OMG OMG OMG ANTONIO! He's sooooo fluffy... I love him!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is so funny too, he made quite a cheeky blush-worthy remark when I was with him that set us all laughing as well :)

      Delete
  13. Wow - that's a bonanza. I always think I'm missing out on the Canberra Truffle Festival but reading how you sat in the freezing cold to watch Antonio made me a little less jealous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. golden mustard, truffles galore and beetroot vinegar - oh my your kitchen is very posh and sounds like you must be having great fun cooking (I took a peek at your blood orange cupcakes and they are gorgeous too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, lovely compliment :) My kitchen does sound posh I suppose, but trust me, we don't eat this well all the time :)

      Delete
  15. I'm so intrigued with your fresh wood ear mushrooms. You have too many wonderful things to choose from this month but the signed book must have been a thrill to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was well worth waiting in the cold for Nancy :) The mushrooms were so much nicer than the dried ones, that's for sure!

      Delete
  16. Becca, gluten-free Weetbix! Thanks for that - I have a friend who's going to be very, very happy to know about them. And mustard infused with truffle and gold flakes? I was reading your post down the screen, saying wow, wow, and then got to that one and thought - unbelievable!! Locally grown woodear sound fabulous, and I have and love that Antonio book - sounds like he's a very nice man too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a find indeed Celia! That is one cheeky man, he's a bit naughty and has a glint in his eye :) The Weetbix are really good, and just as I remember them too! xox

      Delete
  17. I am coming to visit! Truffles galore which I love, but I am swooning over your bling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just let me know when to put the kettle on Tandy! I'll whip us up some truffle treats too :)

      Delete
  18. That's loads of truffle goodness in your kitchen! Aww...that's so sweet of Antonio Carluccio! Hats off :)

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truffle festival is wonderful Julie, so many goodies promoted and available everywhere- yummo!

      Delete
  19. Some absolute treats in your kitchen this month. And yes, it has been absolutely bitterly cold in the mornings :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, it's just typical that you would be right and he would be wrong - it happens here all the time! I haven't had beetroot vinegar before but that looks interesting. And what a great cookbook and how lovely that it is signed. GF Weetbix! I will look out for those! I had no idea they're available. I do hope it warms up for you in the ACT as every morning I look at the map of Oz and it shows the current temps and it looks very dire in the ACT xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard being this perfect all the time, isn't it Charlie, but someone has to do it I guess :) It has been icy here, and we've set a new record for days below minus 5* :( Luckily hubby and I have made up now so I can cuddle up to him at night to keep warm :) xox

      Delete
  21. Hi Bec, You have lots of interesting stuff this month. I bet you cook up a storm with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie! I've sure been having fun playing with all the bling indeed :)

      Delete
  22. Bec, can I please come live with you?! Your kitchen is filled with some of my all time faves. Gahhh.... Drool.... Truffles, black gold, so good! :) I cant believe they invented GF Weetbix, thats awesome. Looking forward to see what you create with the Cuttlefish Ink, I have me a jar but no clue what to do with it. Hope you are warm and well! Happy Thursday. Cheers, Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! I'm thinking a risotto and pasta dough- what do you think? I'll let you know how I go. Truffles are so great and it's amazing how accessable they are here in little old Canberra now isn't it! You stay warm too sweetie x

      Delete
  23. Years ago I got Flo Bjelki Petersons signature on her cookbook :) I would like to meet Nigella as I think I would have alot in common with her. The salami spread would be great, I have a recipe for a veg version that tastes just like salami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Simcha! I agree with you about Nigella- you are definitely and obviously such a Domestic Goddess as well :) I'd love to hear more about your veg salami, it sounds great :) xox

      Delete
  24. Wow what a fantastic kitchen you have this month... I am so jealous of all the truffles around in everyones kitchens, I can't wait to get some of my own... I'm going to Aldi tomorrow to see if there are any left :) Thanks for sharing! Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Becca, I'm amazed at your "truffle fest" and the gold infused mustard, too! Lots of fun ingredients for you to experiment with and enjoy. (I had fun just looking at them!) Loved your white rose bouquet and the special autograph you received... thoughtful gentlemen. Enjoyed your IMK post very much!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You ARE the courageous chef. I'm off to get some mulling spice - that sounds like it's right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete