I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

September 2, 2014

In My Kitchen- September 2014



Happy Spring Dear Readers!

I'm sitting here at my kitchen bench, staring at some beautiful blossom trees in the lane way, sipping a cup of Wakame Miso Soup and tearing into a Walnut, apple, cheese and rosemary quick bread that I've just pulled out of the oven. It's hot, and I burnt my tongue, but oh so worth it to capture that moment when the cheese is still stringy, the apples still steamy, and the butter drips off my fingers narrowly missing the computer keypad
That's what's going on In My Kitchen at the moment, to catch up with some other bloggers, peek into their kitchens and see what they're up to at the moment, check out Celia's blog Here and follow the links....


In My Kitchen...
is my Mothers Day present from littlej. After a round-about journey, going to the wrong address and crossing the ocean a couple of times, it has finally made it's way home...only 4 months late :)  There's lots of fun techniques inside and I'm glad to say that it was well worth the wait



In My Kitchen...
is a gorgeous Gold Cutlery Set. It's a bit hard to show how gold coloured it really is, but the spoon laid across the others is plain stainless just for reference. I foresee this gracing my Festive Christmas Table, and other special celebrations that just need a bit of extra bling



In My Kitchen...
Is a very nice, very fresh Primo Sale- a very, very young Mozzarella cheese. It's lovely and smooth with just a bit of acidity and it tastes wonderful with slices of truss tomato and drizzled with EVOO



In My Kitchen...
from the same local producer in Hume, is real honest-to-goodness fresh Cheddar Curd for Canadian Poutine! It squeaks beautifully when bitten into, and it tastes amazing indeed! I have assembled the fries, gravy and curds, now all that is left is to enjoy the gooey goodness...mmmmm.....



In My Kitchen...
is a big bag of Smoked Bacon Bones. I want to replicate my favourite BBQ rib sauce that usually involves braising the rubbed ribs, then reducing the liquid for ages before ending up with just a little sweet, sticky, smoky yumminess. I figured to capture the 'real' flavour I'd give these bones a try for a bargain way of creating much larger quantities



In My Kitchen...
is some very yummy Marinated Goat Fetta. The lime flavour adds a lovely bit of bite, and I've been enjoying this on toast for lunch



In My Kitchen...
from the same supplier, I scored a big wedge of Goat Milk Cheesecake. Very nice indeed! A tad crumbly, but still nice and rich with just a hint of earthy tang from the goat cheese



In My Kitchen...
are these wonderful Purple Potatoes, aren't they pretty!
Lovely and fresh, healthy and organic- half of them were turned into potato salad to show off their purpliness, the other half went straight into a garden bed to supply me with future crops of my own



In My Kitchen...
is a very weird pot of very bright green water. This is the water that I steamed the potatoes over- they didn't even touch it. But as we all survived our dinner, I assume there is a very logical food science answer and tipped it down the sink



In My Kitchen...
is this cute little Tiffin Box. Not quite as tall as my hand, it still holds enough for my lunch and is a great alternative to plastic containers



In My Kitchen...
is a pretty Mini Cake Stand. At just a few dollars I couldn't resist it, but now I have to find somewhere to put it



In My Kitchen...
A Silver Platter on very ornate claw feet. I picked up this lovely at Trash and Treasure for just $20. I checked up on all the maker's marks and stamps and it's actually quite old, but sadly not worth a fortune as it's just plated. I'm glad I could give it a new home where it will be loved and used on the table once again instead of languishing in the back of a cupboard somewhere lonely

 
So Dear Readers, what's going on in Your Kitchen this month, and do you know what made the potato water turn bright green?




 

33 comments:

  1. Wow 4 months later has to be some sort of record! But what a wonderful gift and better late than never. Love that blue glass plate too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- I was starting to think they made it all up and hadn't bought me a gift at all Lorraine :) xox

      Delete
  2. So many delicious things in your kitchen, Bec... that tiffin is so cute! I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blue glass plate and yes, after buying these items there's always the issue of where to put them! I think you got a good bargain with the plated silver plate. I'd love to try the goat's cheese with lime and those pretty purple potatoes are gorgeous and would bring beautiful colours to any meal xx (And I loved your suggestions re Archie!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storage is always a problem here Charlie! I definitely hope the potatoes will sprout as they're so pretty.
      I love reading about Archie, he's such a character! xox

      Delete
  4. Lots of cheeses in your kitchen now, makes me wanna attack! Bet you're up to some cheesy dish soon?

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I can only have the goat cheese or lactose free cheese, but the rest of the family can enjoy the full range Julie. The fresh stretchy cheese was baked on top on some fresh pineapple- so yummy (or so I'm told!)

      Delete
  5. Keeping up you calcium levels, I see, Bec! And poutine - how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an unusual ingredient to find here Amanda, that I just had to buy some to play with! One day I'll hopefully make it to Canada to try out the 'real deal' :) x

      Delete
  6. oh poutine - that sounds amazing. whenever i read about it i think i have to try it one day. heart attack on a plate i reckon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just such a part of the food culture over there that makes it such comfort food Sherry. Definitely an intriguing dish indeed :)

      Delete
  7. I love your little blue cake stand so sweet and I'd love to try the goats cheese with lime, you have made me want that on toast for my lunch too! Purple potatoes, would have been a fabulous looking salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! The cheese was certainly delicious, and the salad was so pretty indeed, and such a nice change from the usual :)

      Delete
  8. Cheese curd! I just about squealed when I saw it. Can you kindly tell me where you got it from in Hume? Thanks so much and of course thank you for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the curd at the Northside Farmers Markets at UC, held on Saturday afternoons Taryn. There's not a huge amount of stalls, but hopefully they'll go from strength to strength!

      Delete
  9. You always have some great things bec. I love the goat cheese cheesecake I used to make one all the time from curd. I wil;l have to pull that recipe back ou!. I've got a pink and a green cake stand like the blue one you bought. Obcviously a lot of us couldn't resist them. The cheese maker sounds very inventive. Happy Springtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania! The cheesecake was very nice indeed, and I'd love to see your take on it for sure :) Those little stands were cute, I would have got more if I had somewhere to put them! xox

      Delete
  10. Nobody has a clue about the green water? I want to know!! :)

    Everything you've got in your kitchen is terrific. The book, the cheese, the cake dish, the silver dish - just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be something to do with the PH levels I think Maureen?? Anyway they didn't hurt us and tasted delcious :)

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful kitchen you have this month... I am in love with your beautiful blue cake stand!!! I've been op shopping this month looking for good finds!!! Thanks for sharing! Liz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There can be some amazing finds at the op shop Elizabeth, I love looking for vintage cutlery :)

      Delete
  12. Clever idea using your purple potatoes in potato sald. Probably a bit more alluring than purple mash! As for the delightful litle Tiffin box - always happy for my little cousins to make their way out in the world! cheers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We grow purple asparagus, purple carrots, purple beets, purple climbing beans, purple basil, purple eggplants so the purple potatoes were perfect indeed Fiona! I certainly do love my little tiffin box, and can hardly wait for a chance to use it and show it off :)

      Delete
  13. G'day Love cheese and you purple potatoes too!
    Love the Tiffin box and thanks for allowing me to learn something new and in sharing this month's kitchen view also!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poutine is a pretty big deal over here (I believe it's a French Canadian dish... if not, they certainly have adopted it as their own!). I love cheese curds.... but fresh ricotta is one of my top 10 foods. We have a place nearby that makes it fresh and you bring it home in a bag still STEAMING! I eat it with a spoon :) it's been some time since I dropped by Intolerant - you are always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen it over here before Claudine, so I was very excited! I make my own lactose free ricotta and it is so nice when it's warm isn't it :)

      Delete
  15. Becca, you know you're a genius, right? Smoked bones are the perfect way to add smoke flavour - I've been looking at liquid smoke, but this is a MUCH better idea. And good on littleJ, she knows you so well! There's quite a lot of dairy in your kitchen this month, my darling InTolerant friend... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you indeed Celia! I made my 5 lts of BBQ sauce for J, but ended up freezing it in portions as I was a bit concerned about it fermenting despite the sugar and vinegar, because I blended the meat into the sauce at the end for extra flavour. It did work wonderfully to impart the taste I was after though! Definitely a lot of dairy, but luckily the others aren't InTolerant and can gobble it all down. At least the goat cheese is OK for me- and delicious to boot :) xox

      Delete
  16. So many pretty things here. I think the little tiffin is my fave. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look at all those beauties! Gold cutlery (great to go with fall colors, too), pretty blue cake plate, gorgeous silver tray (I'm weak for silver!), and the engraved Tiffin (best message!). Love it all! :-)

    ReplyDelete