I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

September 10, 2014

Quick and Easy YoDo Quick Bread



I belong to a few Facebook groups related to InTolerant issues, and one of the Coeliac groups has long been promoting YoDo as a great alternative to traditional breads and dough


YoDo is simply a Dough made up of gf  SR Flour and Yoghurt- that's it

The amazing thing is that it just works, every single time. It's been used for pizza bases, scones, cinnamon rolls and so many other yummy things, making it a firm favourite with the online community for sure

Quick Bread is technically any bread leavened without yeast. In the case of YoDo it works with the raising agent in the Self Raising Flour, but I also like to think of it as quick bread because it's so quick to throw together and so quick to bake



Basic YoDo ratio  1:1.5

1 cup lf yoghurt to 1 1/2 cups SR gf Flour
How easy is that!


Of course you can make it just a bit more interesting by adding in extra yummies if you like, and of course I couldn't resist :)

2 tubs lactose free Yoghurt
3 tubs worth gf SR Flour
pinch Salt
3/4 cup Walnuts
1/2 cup diced lf Cheese (I used Liddells)
1 green Apple
couple sprigs Rosemary


Chop the cheese and apple into nice little chunks, crush the walnuts roughly, and finely chop the rosemary into itty-bitty bits



Simply place the flour and yoghurt in a bowl



And mix! For a flavoured dough like this one, I just give it a bit of a stir through to start with- otherwise mix until all the flour is absorbed into the flour and it comes together well



Pop all the bits and bobs in at once, and keep mixing. I really find it just so much easier to use your hands to squish it all together well and distribute the chunks nicely



The dough should still be a bit sticky



Using wet hands, pat the dough into a greased pan, then bake at 190*C for 30-35 minutes



So pretty and it smells amazing too!


I like to eat this while it's still warm- the cheese is oozing and the apple is soft. So yummy, and perfect with a nice rustic pate like this one, with a nice soup like this one, or just slathered with some butter or lf spread instead.....mmmmm.....

Just a word of caution Dear Readers, if you are making this gluten free then you should be well aware that most gluten free baked goods are at their peak on the day that they're made. I found that the best way to refresh it after that was to give it a quick flick of water, then pop it in the microwave on medium heat for just 20 or 30 seconds. But the best thing about this style of quick bread is that it's quick and easy enough to make fresh whenever you feel like a bit of yumminess!


So Dear Readers, have you made Quick Bread before, and what would you mix into yours for extra yumminess?

 

34 comments:

  1. I'm going to tell my friend Jan about this. She'll love me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Yodo bread before and I'd like to try this. It looks like it works really well and it has so few ingredients. I do hope you manage to have a very happy anniversary and I did laugh about your lunch time 'breakfast in bed' xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie :) I hope you like it, it's very versatile indeed. We did actually manage to eat out at a swanky restaurant, and eat at a rather more civilised time! xox

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous recipe, Bec! Sharing this with my daughter! Happy anniversary too xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it fantastic! Love it as a pizza base!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes awesome scones too Michelle, but it just seems so great for everything! Loving it all :)

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of this bread either! Now adding yoghurt and sr flour to my shopping list - thanks Becs, and happy anniversary.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe snap on the quick breads! I made an ice cream one and it was delicious. I will have to give this one a go :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too when I saw your Ice cream one Lorraine! Great contrast for your sweet and my savoury takes on such similar recipes :) xox

      Delete
  7. Made it - love it!!!
    Even Rick loves it!!!!!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY Janet! I'm so glad you like it and I know what a victory it is to have Rick enjoy it too- Win Win! xox

      Delete
  8. Looks fantastic! Will need to try with goat cheese. Is that an 20x20cm pan?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yoghurt, walnut, cheese!!! My favourite goodies combined :)

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect combination for you then Julie, but the rosemary really makes it perfect :)

      Delete
  10. Oh I love this, Rebecca, what a great recipe. I will definitely be sharing this with clients, thank you! Love a quick bread x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope they all enjoy it too Heidi, it's certainly so easy and yummy that it can't go wrong x

      Delete
  11. How lovely and fresh! The addition of walnut and cheese is wonderful, plus the yoghurt to aid moistness. How wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merryn! The yoghurt really does help, but all gluten free is best eaten as fresh as possible :)

      Delete
  12. Hey there, I saw your post on the Liddells FB page so thought I would stop by and say "hi". Your YoDo bread sounds fantastic and I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe :-)

    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi to you to Jocelyn, thanks for stopping by! Nice to meet you for sure :)

      Delete
  13. It is very clever isn't it. Hard to believe it works and with lactose free yoghurt too. Ha you are a gem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thanks indeed Tania, but I don't know the origins of this recipe- one lady said her aunt has been making it for 30 years! It's so great to find lactose free goodies mainstream now, especially ones that taste so good! xox

      Delete
  14. What a great idea! My sister and MIL are both gluten free and I often make GF cakes etc for them but a speedy way to produce a a basic bread - that’s wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they like it as much as I do! It's great as scones and pizza bases as well

      Delete
  15. oooh... so trying out this recipe - so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE short ingredient list recipes - we don't have self-rising gf flour here.... could I use a GF flour and add baking soda and or powder? Would that be enough to make this work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Claudine! Just add 2 teaspoons of gluten free Baking Powder for each cup of gluten free plain flour to make it self raising :)

      Delete
  17. Bookmarking this one! I'm going to give it a go for my gf friend Pete, thanks Becca! (For some reason my earlier comment disappeared) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it's not as yummy as all your wonderful gluten-full beautiful breads Celia, but it's yummy all the same :) I haven't come across any stray comments in my spam folder, sometimes I think the interweb just eats them! xox

      Delete