I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

September 22, 2014

The Hungry Gap Spring Risotto



It's a hungry time of year here in my garden



The Hungry Gap is the time of year when Winters crops are all gone but the Spring harvest is still a ways off. I don't mean we're not eating well, I just mean nearly every thing we're buying is coming from the markets or supermarkets, and that the garden is looking very empty indeed. Despite little sprouts and blossom promising future goodies, the only edibles currently popping up out of the ground are new garlic, asparagus, mint and hundreds of little self sown butter lettuce



There didn't seem to be much I could do with all these bits and pieces, until I thought of that great classic Risotto. I actually don't tend to make this much at home as I was put off by making it in vast quantities commercially. It still all had to be stirred by hand- only this time using a paddle, standing on a stool to reach the bottom of the pan, and sweating and steaming away for about an hour at a time. However, I bravely put aside my prejudices to create a yummy meal made from bits and pieces from the garden, store cupboard and freezer. I know I'm not the only one out there who has frozen stock stashed away, or prosciutto off cuts and goat cheese bought on special, hidden in there as well (I'm thinking of you Celia!) I might be the only one that has Jasmine, Basmati, Red, Black, Sticky white, Arborio, plain Brown and Brown Basmati rices in the store cupboard though....


A high starch, short/medium rice is usually used for risotto. The stirring releases the starch molecules on the rice which gives the risotto it's lovely creamy texture. It should always be served just al dente, and with just enough liquid to 'flow' across the plate



Hungry Gap Spring Risotto

3/4 cup Risotto Rice
750ml to 1lt Chicken Stock
2 tab lactose free Butter/Spread
1 tsp Oil
1/2 glass White Wine
Seasoning

Butter Lettuce- shredded
fresh Garlic Bulb or just a clove or 2- cut finely
few stems Asparagus- stems sliced into thin rounds, tips left intact
sprig of Mint- shredded very finely

round of soft Goat Cheese
6 slices Prosciutto
juice and rind of half a Lemon





First things first, get the stock simmering away on the stove top next to the pan you plan to cook your risotto in.

Cook the prosciutto quickly on a medium heat until just starting to brown.The rashers will crisp up as they cool down


Keeping the fat in the pan, add the oil and butter, then stir through the garlic and rice until they are nicely coated all over and just starting to go slightly translucent
I missed that photo- sorry! So here's a picture of what happens when you don't pick your asparagus in a timely manner. It grows crazy turning into a very pretty ferny thing that gets to about a metre tall



Pour in the wine and stir until it's just about evaporated



Then start adding in the hot stock about half a cup at a time, stirring all the time, until each lot of stock is absorbed before adding in the next lot. This could take about 15- 20 minutes



Make sure you have the veggies ready and on hand, as you don't want to stop stirring



When you've reached nearly the end of your stock- you might just need 750 mls, pop in the asparagus stems and stir in so they can cook through



and pop the tips into the last little bit of stock to just get tender as well



Still a nice bit of crunch to the asparagus, you don't want to ruin it by cooking it until grey and squishy



Once the rice is still just al dente, add in the lettuce



Don't worry if it look like a lot, it will wilt down nicely



Turn off the heat and mix in the goat cheese, lemon juice, rind and mint. Check for seasoning, don't forget the cheese should add quite a lot of saltiness



Look at this delicious gloopiness! If the risotto seems just a little stiff then stir in the last little bit of stock to loosen it all up



Dish up quickly while still nice and hot or it will thicken up instead of being a nice smooth style of texture. Garnish with the crispy prosciutto shards, asparagus tips and a last little sprinkle of mint and lemon rind



So Dear Readers, do you have odd things stashed away in your freezer and what's starting to pop up in your garden?


 

21 comments:

  1. Hi Bec, gorgeous recipe! I do indeed have all sorts of weird things in my freezer... heaps of bananas for starters! Baking now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good Lizzy, heaps of brown bananas in my freezer too :)

      Delete
  2. Oh darling I feel terrible. Did you have to do a lot of risotto stirring for my book launch party? This risotto does look amazing and I learned a new phrase too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm smarter than that Lorraine! I left that job to poor Charlie and Celia :) Wonder women indeed! xox

      Delete
  3. Your garden sounds amazing even in the between seasons. I love how the butter lettuces are self-sown. And the possums haven't even eaten them! I actually do have quite a few varieties of rice. I once tried to make risotto using brown rice - disaster! I think your risotto looks so yummy and it must have been so much easier making it for a family of four rather than a cast of thousands xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much easier indeed Charlie! We do have a possum prowling around out the front of the house, but so far so good with the dog living out the back scaring him off. I have more trouble keeping the cat off the garden! xox

      Delete
  4. I have never cooked lettuce. There. I said it. After looking at this risotto I wonder what the heck I was doing when I wasn't cooking lettuce.

    I have nothing popping in my garden other than herbs. :) or the odd cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love braised lettuce Maureen, and it's a great way to use it up when you're sick of salads too :)
      My garden is currently covered with netting to keep the cat from 'fertilizing' it for me, but as the plants grow she tends to keep away from it- thank goodness!

      Delete
  5. wow, damn delicious simple and fancy risotto!!!
    the crispy prosciutto is the the hits of the dish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks indeed! The prosciutto adds a much needed crunch for texture- as well as deliciousness :)

      Delete
  6. Hungry Gap or not, you seem to know your way towards healthy, tasty eats! Love this dish!

    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're trying to eat healthier for sure Julie- but still the odd slip up now and then! :) x

      Delete
  7. Rebecca...love your risotto...just made a new recipe myself. Risotto is such comfort food one of which we have as our wonderful summer is turning into a beautiful Indian Summer/fall. Prosciutto is an excellent addition to any risotto...must try that next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly hits all the right spots for comfort food Ina! Prosciutto is just a fancy bacon, and we all know that bacon makes everything better! :)

      Delete
  8. There would never really be a hunfgry gap at your house Bec. Never. I really love cooked lettuce especially with peas in soup. ... or risotto now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Tania- maybe that's why we need to diet! :) Braised lettuce is one of my favourite ways of eating it, but not too many people seem to do it anymore xox

      Delete
  9. I've got oodles of odd things stashed in my freezer. Some I'm excited by the possibilities and the others? Well, I really have no idea what on earth they could be. I hear others label their items before putting it in the freezer...how novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learnt to label EVERYTHING now Brydie! Too many mystery parcels otherwise- that baggie of suet for dumplings mistaken for chicken mince etc :) My husband is always complaining that the freezer is overfull, but I tell him it makes it work more efficiently by being full :)

      Delete
  10. That looks like an excellent way to bridge your hungry gap Bec - and a little inspirational. I haven't made risotto in ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! I don't think you've had time to do anything as you've been travelling so much lately :) Love hearing about all your adventures, have fun! x

      Delete
  11. I'm settled. I'm going to make this risotto! Let's see what odd things can I stashed away in my freezer :)

    ReplyDelete