I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

June 27, 2010

Pumpkin


Littlej wanted some money.
Oh, she already gets pocket money for various jobs around the house, but she wanted more. I don't believe in giving something for nothing, so we reached an agreement. She could have the vegetable garden.
I would provide the seeds, etc, but she had to plant, cultivate, weed, water and harvest all on her own with minimum nagging from me.
'This,' I thought, will teach her.'It'll be weeks before anything pops out the ground and is ready' I am considerate like that.
But littlej is just as stubborn...I mean patient as I.

Those seedlings were watered, aerated, and so closely loved that I'm surprised they survived at all, But survive they did, and flourished.
After just a brief dispute over 'size vs price' on zucchinis,the system worked surprisingly well. She grew, zucchinis of course, capsicums, corn, eggplants, cucumbers, chillies, beetroot, silverbeet, every type of tomato- big and small, and pumpkin.
The pumpkin vine grew and grew until I wondered if it was related to the magic beanstalk in the fairy tale. It grew over the shed, it grew over the lawn, it grew over the fence, it grew everything, but pumpkins.

Until..... standing on the veggie bed littlej looked over the fence and saw It. A Beautiful Pumpkin. From her vine. In the neighbours yard. Mocking her. That pumpkin haunted my daughter from then on. Every bucket of tomatoes- and there were many, every zucchini-and there were thousands, none of them satisfied that pumpkin sized hole in her soul.

I refused her request to steal it from our nice neighbours. After all, they had put it in a tyre and straw and were looking after it... . Anyway, it would be too obvious where it had gone, who else would just steal a pumpkin? I heard littlej dropping hints as the neighbours hung their washing,'That's a Big Pumpkin, I don't have any on MY side' I even heard her mumbling about that pumpkin in her sleep. Then, one day, it was gone.

At this point, I feel the need to point out that littlej does not like to eat pumpkin. She will choke down the obligatory 'you-must-eat-one-of-everything-on-your-plate) and will eat my homemade pumpkin soup, but that's it.
It was the principal of the thing.

As winter and frost settled in I thought we had finally heard the end of it. The vegetable beds are dormant, and the neighbourhood is hibernating. I have considerately not served pumpkin for several months as I had no wish to listen to the whinging....I mean, I was being a sensitive caring mother.

But today,TAA DAA!Our favourite neighbour at the door with our half of The Pumpkin. They were only waiting for it to dry enough to cut.(And yes, The Pumpkin is everything a pumpkin should be, firm and sweet) Oh happy day! Littlej was overcome. I hope she learnt her lesson in humble pumpkin pie, and love-thy-neighbour too.


So here it is, littlej's recipe for Pumpkin Soup




half a pumpkin, chopped into chunks

4 or 5 sprigs of rosemary (and some for garnishing)

1 large onion cut in half

200g speck or smokey bacon,in biggish pieces

A few cloves of garlic with skin left on

oil

salt and pepper

500ml to 1lt of stock (you might need more if it's a big pumpkin)

250ml of soy or lactose free milk (I use UHT type as it's already heat stabilized)



1.Place pumpkin, speck, onion, garlic and rosemary on a baking tray

2. Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper, and scrunch up together

3. Bake at 180*/200* until pumpkin is soft. A few brown bits are good and will add flavour

4. Shake off hard crunchy rosemary





5.remove garlic from papery skin

6. Place pumpkin, garlic and speck in pot with stock and milk. Bring to a simmer

7. Blend with a stick/ hand blender until smooth.

8. Garnish with finely chopped rosemary and enjoy

So, readers, what vegetables do you love or loathe?

12 comments:

  1. I don't like brussel sprouts generally or bitter melon or bitter things. That is some pumpkin! :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brussel sprouts were my favourite when I was little, now I'm not fond of snowpea sprouts. I went off them when I was pregnant, and never really got the taste for them back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of kale or beets. Or turnip. The odd thing is, if you ever mention this, people will vow to convert you. As if on a mission. Why can't someone just loathe a certain vegetable? Must we love all veggies equally? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi InTolerant chef could you please help me I want to know if I eat pasta and anti pasta in the same meal will I still be hungry??? Well it is a cheffy question :)
    Also littlej must have a green thumb and perhaps she should start a kids veggie gardening blog.. Nice pumpkin littlej.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, Karina, not all vegetables are created equal...They are just like people. Some are crusty and bitter, some are soft and sweet.They come in all shapes, colours and sizes.I say we should live in veggie harmony. I'll eat the kale and beets from your plate and you eat the peasprouts on mine. Share the love!

    Notquitekosher, I have tried the 'food cancellation paradox' before, and eating anti pasta and pasta in one sitting do not cancell each other out. Just like eating white and dark chocolate- you just end up with a tummy ache!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops, that came out wrong... all peple ARE created equal, I just mean we all have our individual strengths and weaknesses.And some are more loveable than others- like me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just discovered your blog - I LOVE pumpkin and I LOVE soup! I'll definitely be coming back to visit! :)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that story is just way too sweet :)
    I love pretty much all veggies - I can't help but veggie-fy all receipes that I come across. What ... one zucchini? I'll throw throw in 3, plus a carrot and a head of brocc....you get the idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou Palatepeacemaker, you're welcome anytime. I wish I could have a virtual dinnerparty with all my bloggy friends, wouldn't that be fun?!
    And Lisa, veggies are sooo fantastic. My favourites are zucchini,no,broccoli,no sweet potato,no,corn,no,beetroot,no,carrots,no,jerusalem artichokes.........My head hurts....too many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic Pumpkin Soup and such a great story, you almost had me there for a little while thinking "Oh Nnooo, the neighbours ate the whole pumpkin" !!
    Great story, great recipe (would never have thought of putting in some rosemary, must try it).
    And count me in on that Virtual Dinner Party.
    Cheers
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love most vegetables. I love the look of that pumpkin soup too! I guess the only vegetable that I am not really fond of are snow peas. The taste is kind of funky so I don't put them in our stir frys even though its a common ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Several years ago we made the insane decision to entertain both our families together at our house for Christmas day. Amongst all the preparations included ensuring our garden looks lush and green. Our front yard was pretty barren so not having a lot of money for plants the Boy decided to grow a giant pumpkin plant. It soon took over the whole yard and produced the most enormous pumpkins which became the talk of the street! Our largest weighed in at over 70 kg!! Needless to say we were eating pumpkin soup for a LONG time!

    ReplyDelete