I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

June 20, 2010

Winter Solstice

This week marks the shortest day of the year, the Winter Solstice. Also know as Mid-Winter.



"In the bleak mid-winter, Frosty wind made moan, Earth stood hard as iron,Water like a stone;


Snow had fallen, Snow on snow, Snow on snow, In the bleak mid-winter, Long ago"

Christina Rosetti 1872


There is an old saying that goes 'when the day begins to lengthen, the cold begins to strengthen.' So even though the nights are getting shorter and the hours of sunlight are longer, we have several months of winter ahead of us still.



This means snuggling up and feasting on fat things to ward off mid-winter blues. In ancient times they would sacrifice animals to ensure the return of the sun and rebirth of spring. I have decided to sacrifice my calorie count to ensure the release of warmth and happiness to my families tummies!


What would be the ultimate comforting winter food? Hmmmm.... I think there needs to be sugar, heat, warmth - as opposed to heat, fat, and of course, chocolate. And it needs to be squishy. Comfort food is rarely tough and solid. Chocolate starts out that way, but melts in the mouth quick enough so you don't notice!


I decided on a Chocolate Gingerbread Self Saucing Pudding.


There is the tummy warming spice from the ginger, the sugar rush, the smoothness of the rich chocolate sauce and the just-out-the-oven heat to put rosies on your cheeks. Perfect.




On second thought, I just might freshen it up a wee bit and add some fruit. That may appease my guilt some over the decadence, I mean deliciousness, of the pudding. Now fresh fruit is beyond compare, but I do love tinned pears. They're smooth and moist and luscious, and just perfect for this desert. Just pop them in at the last minute as all they need to do is heat through. If you don't have any fruit, don't worry, just pretend.


Hot Chocolate Ginger Pear Pudding

1 1/2 cups SR GF Flour
2/3 cup Treacle
2 tabs oil
2 eggs
3/4 cup liquid - you can use milk substitute, pear juice or even water
2 tabs Ginger
1 tab Cinnamon
1 tsp salt
Pears, if using

Sauce:
2 cups boiling water




2 tabs cocoa




1/4 cup sugar





1. Once you have mixed up the pudding ingredients into a smooth batter, pop into a greased casserole dish.











2. Put the pears around the dish and push under the surface a bit so they don't float away


3. Mix sauce ingredients together and then pour over the back of a spoon while moving it around the dish. This is so there are no divots made into the pudding and the sauce layer is even.




4. Cook in a 200* oven for about 50 minutes. The puddingy cakey layer on top should look nice and baked, but be floating on top of the sauce when you shake it around.


5. Spoon up and enjoy!


So readers, what warms you up on a bleak mid-winters night?



5 comments:

  1. Sorry Readers, I'm still having some trouble formatting my text to pictures. I'm more at home with a Mix Master than a computer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like we've been having Winter for a good 2 months already. I'm ready for Spring! But first, a taste of this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh isnt pudding just the best ending to a cold evening!
    "have decided to sacrifice my calorie count to ensure the release of warmth and happiness to my families tummies!" - hear hear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. İ think pudding would be a bit heavy in this summer heat. We are all melting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies for all your comments and support for my blog. You are all sincerly appreciated!
    I will raise a cupcake to you all! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete