I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

October 23, 2012

Torta di Riso al Profumo d' Arancio




















I un-ashamedly lifted this recipe straight from another blog


I saw it posted the other week and it just sounded so lovely, that I not only had to give it a try, but share it with all of you too.

Don't worry though, I did ask permission first!

Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things is a great blog written by a fantastic foodie and fellow Canberran who shares her food, philosophy and photographs with such style and enthusiasm, and generosity too! Thankyou Lizzy!
http://www.bizzylizzysgoodthings.com/2/post/2012/10/torta-di-riso-al-profumo-d-arancio.html#comments


Lizzy has said that this recipe reminded her of her childhood, and a similar recipe her mother made. My memories of rice pudding are the traditional type, made of rice simmered with milk and sugar and flavoured with nutmeg instead of vanilla or orange; My hubby remembers only cooked rice mixed with sugar and cream to a wet type of dessert with no nuances of flavour at all; My kiddies are more familiar with our own family version of rice simmered with pandan and cardamon with a palm sugar syrup... I guess however you make it, a memory is only a taste away.....

I certainly was impressed with the idea of this dish. I'm always looking for desserts that would translate well to catering/ cafe menus, and I think that a slice of this torte is much more elegant that a sloppy pudding in a bowl indeed- no matter how nice it tasted!























Torta di Riso al Profumo d'Ara
 or: Orange Rice Cake

1.7 lt lactose free Milk
1 Vanilla Pod
rind of half a Lemon
1 cup White Sugar
300gr Aborio Rice
6 Eggs, separated
1/4 cup Orange Liquor
1/3 cup Raisins
zest of one Orange





For the flavourings, peel the lemon thinly in nice big strips to make it easier to fish out of the pot later, and scrape all the lovely little seeds from the vanilla pod





















Combine the milk, vanilla seeds and pod, lemon rind and sugar in a large sauce pan and bring to the boil





















Add in the rice, then lower the heat and simmer, stirring constantly- like a risotto- until the rice is just softened and the milk mixture is nice and creamy.
Pull out the vanilla and lemon strips, then let the rice cool






















Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks





















Mix the egg yolks with the orange liquor until creamy looking, then stir into the rice mixture. Make sure it gets really well mixed through as this is the 'glue' for the whole cake





















See how fine a microplane can zest an orange? So beautifully without any of the bitter white pith at all. I much prefer using one of these than a zester or grater





















Toss in the orange zest and raisins and give it another really good stir





















Add in about a quarter of the egg whites and mix through to lighten the mixture up. Then carefully fold through the rest of the whites, making sure you don't get carried away and knock all the air out of the mix.






















Gently pour the mixture into a lined 24 cm cake tin.






















Bake at 180*C for an hour, covering the top after about halfway through so it doesn't over brown






















Let the cake cool in the tin and rest overnight in the refrigerator for it  to firm up and for the flavours to really settle in






















Now for a bit of extra yumminess!


















I really didn't want to waste that poor little nude orange, so while the cake was baking I made so candied orange slices.


I cut the orange into thin slices, then popped them into a very small saucepan with an obscene amount of sugar- about 1 1/2  cups, and just enough water to make sure the slices were covered.
Stir it around for a while to make sure the sugar is dissolved properly, then leave it on a gentle simmer for the hour or so until the slices and their skin are translucent and have that shiny, glossy look that says they've absorbed about as much sugar as they can handle. You might have to put a little more water in now and then, or at least turn the slices over to make sure they're all getting their share of sweetness.




Place your cake on a serving platter, top with the candied oranges or dust liberally with icing sugar, and enjoy!





















Such a lovely moist cake that still holds its shape perfectly and slices beautifully- just use a wet knife to help things along
The vanilla and lemon add a solid grounding for the risotto, with the orange giving it a stronger scented flavour that is just lovely and sweet

I have to admit, that I had wondered if all the mucking about to make a perfectly good rice pudding into a cake was going to be worth it- but it certainly was indeed, and I'll be making this a regular for sure

















So Dear Readers, what type of Rice Pudding do you remember from your childhood, and does it differ greatly form your family favourite now?









.


9 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw this I knew I'd want to make it. What a great torte. I've never made a cake with arborio rice and I'm sure it would taste very much like a rice pudding. I'm definitely going to make this xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing that cake on Lizzy's blog. She's great isn't she! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks lovely.. I can see why you lifted it:) I think when someone bakes my recipes, I'm just really flattered! And you gave your friend a "shout out" which is also lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Bec, thank you for your very kind words and for the shout out. Glad you enjoyed the cake... it's a keeper, that's for sure. Your version looks and sounds lovely.

    Thanks Lorraine too! ; D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, between you and Lizzy, you might just cure my aversion to rice pudding! Having said that, I'm in love with Asian red rice, so this isn't such a big leap! :) Nice to see what you're doing with those vanilla beans, Becca, only 122 to go. :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore this, looks beautiful. I have no memories of rice pudding - my mum hates it! I feel I could totally turn her with this, though ;)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear InTolerant Chef,

    Love the look of this rice pudding although it has never been a big part of my childhood. The combination of orange and vanilla just works so well though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love rice pudding, there were squabbles at our house when mum made it - my brother and sister loved the 'skin' that formed on top. I love the creamy vanilla sweetness. I bet your cake is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! I like Lizzy's blog too. My hubby is a massive rice pudding fan and I can imagine he would like this too. Love your candied orange on top!

    ReplyDelete